[asterisk-users] Reliable wireless SIP phones

David Nedved david_nedved at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 28 09:08:55 CDT 2008

> I you have such a problems with siemens you should consider
> 8 voip port
> linksys gateway with dect bases, their gateway is rock
> solid and cheap.

I'd recommend against buying new analog POTS gear myself.  We've got a mix of SNOM 300 corded VOIP phones and generic DECT bases attached to Linksys SPA-whatever ATAs.  The user experience is much more positive and direct using an actual integrated VOIP phone rather than going through the ATA.  SNOM offer SIP DECT bases and I've got one on order now for a proof-of-concept to get the analog DECT bases and Linksys ATAs out of the mix.

It's hard to put your finger exactly on all of the little differences that make the actual VOIP phone feel like better quality but I'll try:

- can key as fast as you want and see your number and correct as you're dialing (Linksys ATA seems to get confused if you DTMF too quickly and no option to correct)
- can hit the checkmark button to dial immediately. Usersfind this more intuitive than hitting # key, more like a mobile phone
- callerid with alpha text such as other extensions works properly (although this could be a phone issue with our cheap DECT bases)
- easy multi-line support

The Linksys ATAs were quick to deploy, and low-cost and low-risk as they let us re-use existing POTS gear with easy fallback to analog, but I wouldn't choose that route for a new install.