[asterisk-users] Reliable wireless SIP phones

Jaap Winius jwinius at umrk.to
Thu Aug 28 08:06:37 CDT 2008

Hi list,

Are there any reliable wireless SIP phones available on the market yet?

Six months ago I went for the Siemens Gigaset 675IP. Although there
was a bug in the MWI support, unit #1 seemed fine for the first few
weeks, so I bought #2 and #3. Then the problems started. Of the three
units, two regularly lock up, which requires the base station to be
reset, and two do not perform DTMF menu navigation properly (I live in
the Netherlands). There was a recent firmware update for this model,
but there may as well not have been. You'd think that a big company
like Siemens that has been making rock-solid DECT phones (analog and
ISDN) for years could do better, but apparently not.

Since the firmware seems to be the same, there's no way I'm going to
upgrade to the 685IP. I was thinking of trying out the Snom M3, but
according to voip-info.org, that model suffers from similar
reliability problems.

There is also the possibility of using a Wi-Fi SIP phone instead, but
I haven't been able to find a positive review of one of these phones
either, despite the promising concept.

So, what's the most reliable wireless SIP phone these days: an analog
DECT phone with a Linksys SPA adapter?

Thanks,

Jaap