[asterisk-users] Limit to the length of string ?

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Tue Aug 26 15:49:03 CDT 2008

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Drew Gibson wrote:

> Gordon Henderson wrote:

>>> Yes, it did.
>>>

>> OK. Thanks.
>>
>> Now I guess I have to play the 1.4 lottery :)
>>
>> (or will it get "fixed" in 1.2.31 ;-)
>
> Is there a maximum string length for use with the legacy interface
> chan_string?
> Does it depend on the type of cup used? Does styrofoam give better range
> than paper?

You need a layer one technology interface that's firm enough to stop the
string being pulled out, (via a washer/knot interface) yet flexible enough
to pickup vibrations and transfer them down the layer 2 technology...
(Good parcel string)

In tests, with Heinz Baked bean tins, we found they worked very well over
distances of several metres...

Gordon