[asterisk-users] implementing an intercom with asterisk

Bruce Reeves breeveslist at eusnetworks.com
Tue Aug 26 15:47:27 CDT 2008

Some one already touched on this, but my guess is the Nortel system is
sending the page signal out to an actual paging system and the
speakers are in the remote building or the page port on the Nortel is
running over cat 3 copper to the other building. in either case tie it
in to the Asterisk system via SIP ATA or FXO port on the box. I have
done a number of these setups with an extra FXO port connected to a
bogen or viking system, even page pac.

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Jonathan Disher <jdisher at parad.net> wrote:
> On Aug 26, 2008, at 2:27 AM, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> Do you have some sort of IP connectivity between the sites? 400
>> yards is a
>> too long for copper cat5, but can be done with fibre, wireless or
>> free-space optics... (which I don't personally recommend!)
>
> The current plan is wireless bridge + directional antennae.  That
> wasn't the problem I needed to solve.
>
>> (And if you haven't IP how are you talking to the phones between
>> sites?)
>>
>> So what's to stop you from putting a Cisco phone into auto-answer
>> mode and
>> calling it via ths Page() application?
>
> This is an industrial environment.  I'm looking for a slightly less
> expensive (and hopefully more robust) device - whether an intercom
> unit + ATA or a magic black box that does everything I want and has a
> power plug and an ethernet jack.  Dedicating a $175 cisco phone to
> this is overkill, IMO.  I had given thought to this, it is a backup
> plan, but again, I'd like to get something perhaps less expensive to
> the function.
>
> -j

Bruce Reeves, dCAp
EUS Networks