[asterisk-users] Limit to the length of string ?

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Tue Aug 26 10:27:59 CDT 2008

On Tuesday 26 August 2008 09:08:58 Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> > On Tuesday 26 August 2008 06:49:54 Gordon Henderson wrote:
> >> A-Ha... That string is 256 characters long... Now there's a fishy number
> >> if ever there was one.
> >>
> >> So, if this a real limitation? This is 1.2.30 if that makes a
> >> difference...
> >>
> >> Did this limit go away in 1.4 ?
> >
> > Yes, it did.
>
> OK. Thanks.
>
> Now I guess I have to play the 1.4 lottery :)
>
> (or will it get "fixed" in 1.2.31 ;-)

It will not get changed in 1.2 at all, sorry.  That's a major architectural
change, for a branch which has been end-of-lifed and is only eligible for
security fixes, not new features.  You could manually up the various
buffers (there's more than one which affects this!) and recompile, if you
were so inclined.  1.4 uses a completely different method of sizing the
buffer, which allows for a seemingly limitless length of argments.  One
additional caveat, though:  the buffer used for variable substitution is
only 8k, so there's an additional limitation there, as well.

--
Tilghman