[asterisk-users] implementing an intercom with asterisk

Drew Gibson drew at oanda.com
Tue Aug 26 08:22:59 CDT 2008

Jonathan Disher wrote:
> I am looking to replace the phone system at my father's shop with an
> Asterisk box and some Cisco phones, but one piece of the
> implementation is tripping me up.  He has two buildings (the office,
> and the shop proper), separated by about 3-400 yards.  Currently with
> the ancient Meridian system installed, there is a paging intercom (to
> page employees, etc) on a dedicated extension - play a loud tone, then
> set up a 2 way channel.  Anyone got any ideas, hardware wise, on how I
> might implement this with an Asterisk system?
>
> Thanks, and if this isn't appropriate for this list, if anyone has a
> better destination for the question, I"d be quite appreciative.

Hi Jon,

how is the existing intercom implemented? Is it on the phones or
separate speakers?

If it is a paging system wired into the Nortel, you may be able to reuse
it via an ATA,

If it's done through the phones, try
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Asterisk+Paging+and+Intercom
for ideas

That is, once you've bridged the ethernet across the 3-400 yards. You
can use fibre, wireless or Thicknet. Fibre is the most robust, wireless
is the cheapest and Thicknet, well, good luck getting the parts! :-)

regards,

Drew

--
Drew Gibson