[asterisk-users] implementing an intercom with asterisk

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Tue Aug 26 04:27:42 CDT 2008

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008, Jonathan Disher wrote:

> I am looking to replace the phone system at my father's shop with an
> Asterisk box and some Cisco phones, but one piece of the
> implementation is tripping me up.  He has two buildings (the office,
> and the shop proper), separated by about 3-400 yards.  Currently with
> the ancient Meridian system installed, there is a paging intercom (to
> page employees, etc) on a dedicated extension - play a loud tone, then
> set up a 2 way channel.  Anyone got any ideas, hardware wise, on how I
> might implement this with an Asterisk system?

Do you have some sort of IP connectivity between the sites? 400 yards is a
too long for copper cat5, but can be done with fibre, wireless or
free-space optics... (which I don't personally recommend!)

(And if you haven't IP how are you talking to the phones between sites?)

So what's to stop you from putting a Cisco phone into auto-answer mode and
calling it via ths Page() application?

And if a Cisco can't work in this manner, there are plenty of others that
will.

Gordon