[asterisk-users] MWI working perfectly. Shouldn't it be broken??

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Mon Aug 25 09:32:34 CDT 2008

Karl Fife wrote:
> Do I understand correctly that we are not talking about redundant MWI
> status traffic here, we're ONLY talking about the notion that asterisk
> ignores MWI subscription status and behaves as if it has 100% MWI
> subscription.  That is unless "subscribemwi=yes" is in sip.conf.  Is
> that an accurate summary?

Yes.

> And theoretically, if I had thousands of endpoints and I needed 100% mwi
> subscription, there may be some theoretical efficiency to turning off
> all MWI subscriptions in all of the endpoints.  Likewise if only 25% of
> my 'thousands' of endpoints needed any MWI, there would be some
> efficiency in setting "subscribemwi=yes", and explicitly subscribing
> only those 25%.  Is that right?

Theoretically, I guess so.  However, keep in mind that this is really
about dealing with odd specifics of how certain phones behave more than
anything else.  Some phones won't subscribe but still expect MWI.  Some
phones may freak out if they receive MWI when they haven't subscribed to it.

> Thanks again for clarifying!  I appreciate it!

You are quite welcome.

--
Russell Bryant
Senior Software Engineer