[asterisk-users] Semi-OT Satellite?

Rob Hillis rob at hillis.dyndns.org
Sat Aug 23 09:37:47 CDT 2008

Ken Williams wrote:
> We're entertaining moving our intranet to Hughes satelite for our
> remote locations.  I'm curious if anyone with Asterisk servers has
> used satellite, and if so, is the latency an issue.  My understanding
> is that you immediately introduce 250ms latency for travel time up and
> back down, however it is a much more direct connection then offered by
> traditional land lines.

Everyone I'm aware of that has tried using VoIP over a satellite based
internet connection has been /completely/ dissatisfied.  A base ping
time of 250ms is simply too high for calls to proceed naturally - you'll
end up with people talking over the top of each other.  The problem with
be exacerbated if both ends are satellite based.