[asterisk-users] DSS1 vs SS7

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Thu Aug 21 17:15:09 CDT 2008

Saul Bejarano wrote:

> With SS7 They will have to define point code and stuff like that, it is
> usually granted to carriers which are members of the SS7 network, I have
> not seen a carrier offering SS7 as a home service.
> Go for standard DSS1 which as somebody said will be the equivalent in
> signlaing to an ISDN trunk.

Some carriers now do offer private SS7 instead of ISDN.  But there is
absolutely no reason why you should be doing this with Asterisk.
Asterisk-SS7 is quite tenuous at best.  Unless you have some specific
reason to be using it, don't.

If your reason is TCAP (LNP, LIDB, CNAM), don't bother using Asterisk at
all.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems