[asterisk-users] FTC Bans Prerecorded Telemarketing Drivel

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Aug 21 10:10:28 CDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 02:15:58AM -0400, Alex Balashov wrote:
> I would be curious to know where, in this classification, fall various
> telemarketing schemes that are technically not cold-calls, but are
> generated from leads that come from customer-provided information, but
> where the customer does not know explicitly that they are signing up to
> receive calls.
>
> For instance, this is common in a number of industries such as financial
> services.  You do a search to get a quote on something, and provide your
> phone number in the process, although the phone number bears no relation
> to the submission and is just an ancillary required item.  Several
> places' telemarketing organisations call you back in response.  For
> example, lendingtree.com.
>
> Is this a "solicited" call?

In order to classify that as a solicited call, I believe, you have to
have language *on the form the customer fills out* that says they're
authorizing you to call, and you have to be able to produce
ink-on-paper if the FTC ever calls you on it.

IANAL.  YMMV.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.