[asterisk-users] pollmailboxes

Philipp Kempgen philipp.kempgen at amooma.de
Sun Aug 17 21:01:20 CDT 2008

Russell Bryant schrieb:
> On Aug 17, 2008, at 11:07 AM, Philipp Kempgen wrote:
>
>> 1.6 UPGRADE.txt:
>>> * If you use any interface for modifying voicemail aside from the
>>> built in
>>>  dialplan applications, then the option "pollmailboxes" *must* be
>>> set in
>>>  voicemail.conf for message waiting indication (MWI) to work
>>> properly.  This
>>>  is because Voicemail notification is now event based instead of
>>> polling
>>>  based.  The channel drivers are no longer responsible for
>>> constantly manually
>>>  checking mailboxes for changes so that they can send MWI
>>> information to users.
>>>  Examples of situations that would require this option are web
>>> interfaces to
>>>  voicemail or an email client in the case of using IMAP storage.
>>
>> I vote for a truly event based solution:
>>
>> - A web GUI modifies a mailbox (e.g. deletes a message)
>> - The GUI triggers the polling of this specific mailbox
>>
>> Action: PollMailbox
>> Mailbox: 1234
>>
>> or
>>
>> Action: MailboxModifiedExternally
>> Context: default
>> Mailbox: 1234
>> Folder: Work
>> File: msg0002
>
> I agree that it would be a nice addition.  I'm not so sure that it
> would remove the need to be able to enable periodic polling in
> Asterisk, though.

At least in some setups (a lot actually) you would not need to
poll: GUIs could definitely trigger it.

> For example, take IMAP storage of voicemail.  There
> would not be any easy way to trigger the poll after someone has made
> changes using their IMAP client.

I'm pretty sure there are IMAP servers with custom hooks (Dovecot?).
Not exactly easy but doable.

BTW: Does pollmailboxes _disable_ the event based notifications?
UPGRADE.txt is not clear about that.

Some setups might want to use a mix. Event-based with custom
triggers and polling-based with pollfreq=3600 as a safety net.

Grüße,
Philipp Kempgen
--
http://www.das-asterisk-buch.de  -  http://www.the-asterisk-book.com