[asterisk-users] Running asterisk as non root user

Alan Lord alanslists at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 04:36:17 CDT 2008

Shaun Wingrin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've followed instructions of the book "AsteriskFutureOf
> TelephonySecEdit" on page 295 onwards ) Link to the Asterisk book:
> http://downloads.oreilly.com/books/9780596510480.pdf) and
> <http://downloads.oreilly.com/books/9780596510480.pdf) and> get an error
> when running service asterisk start. The error is: cat:
> /var/run/asterisk.pid: No such file or directory . <snip />

That sounds like it's probably a permissions thing.

I wrote up a "howto" Asterisk as non-root on my blog here:

http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2007/10/30/untangle-asterisk-pbx-and-file-server-all-in-one-part-7/

Make sure you check the init script and the permissions of the various
directories that asterisk needs read/write too.

HTH

Alan

--
The way out is open!