[asterisk-users] ANSI terminal colors

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Aug 15 10:40:40 CDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 03:23:57PM -0500, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> On Thursday 14 August 2008 13:59:37 Philipp Kempgen wrote:
> > Jared Smith schrieb:
> > >
> > > You can turn of the ANSI color support completely by adding
> > > "nocolor=yes" to the [options] section of asterisk.conf and then
> > > restarting Asterisk.
> >
> > Sure. But I want colored output on my default background color.
> >
> > :-)
> >
> > ls with dircolors works perfectly. So I was curious if there
> > is a reason for Asterisk to behave differently (forcing the
> > background color to black).
>
> Because nobody else ever asked, perhaps?

No, I would suspect that it's because there's probably a subconscious
perception that colorcoded text "works better" on black than white, and
indeed, it does: you often have to fiddle the colors chosen to get it
to be readable against black: the default red has too little luminance
to stand out from black, for instance.

It's the same problem as backlit keyboards with silver coatings, or the
display on a Palm IIIe: in certain lighting conditions, you simply can't
read it at all.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.