[asterisk-users] Multi-homed Asterisk

Drew Gibson drew at oanda.com
Thu Aug 14 13:40:51 CDT 2008

Jon Weisman wrote:
> Hey guys its me again! So I need to setup our Asterisk server with multiple
> IP providers. The server has two NICs, we have two providers, now we want
> redundancy! Any guides on how to set this up? We're running Fedora Core 5 w/
> Asterisk 1.4.
>
> What I would like is that incase one link goes down, or even if the link is
> showing up, but for some reason its not routing traffic the other link
> should take over. This is for both inbound and outbound SIP. Now the hard
> part... I need this to be reliable.
>
> Your help is greatly appreciated,
>
> Jon

I assume it is the Internet connection that you want to make redundant.

If you have any inbound connections, you will have to have a router
running BGP and your two providers will have to co-operate to get this
setup and working properly. We have two connections from the same
provider and it did not cost us anything to add BGP support.

The router can be a dedicated device such as from Cisco, et al or can be
a Linux-based machine running Zebra.

There are other "budget" methods to create a form of redundancy but they
have drawbacks (see post from GH)

regards,

Drew

--