[asterisk-users] cmdRecord issue related to "iax2 received mini frame before first full voice frame"?

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Wed Aug 13 09:20:23 CDT 2008

On Wednesday 13 August 2008 04:50:24 Novak Joe wrote:
> [May 21 20:31:52] WARNING[27346]: chan_iax2.c:8020 socket_process:
> Received mini frame before first full voice frame
>
>   A more detailed explanation of what the above warning means/implies,
> and how or why it might be preventing recordings would be greatly
> appreciated.

A mini frame is simply a frame containing minimal information about the
call itself (the meta data), and a full frame contains all of the meta-data
information.  Sending mini-frames is part of the IAX protocol, as a way of
saving significant bandwidth over the course of a call.  However, a mini frame
cannot be interpreted correctly independently of a full frame.  In every media
stream, a full frame is send approximately once every 60 seconds, to sync the
timestamps.

You could think about it in a different way, by considering a video encoding
method, whereby the full image is sent every once in a while, but only the
differences (which are much smaller) are sent most of the time.  If you have
only a frame containing the differences to an image that you never got in the
first place, then it's very difficult to know what to do with that.

>   I'm running Asterisk 1.4.11 on debian Etch.

There have been many changes, bug fixes, and even security issues fixed since
1.4.11.  I'd really recommend that you try something more recent (and even the
latest, because we fixed 2 security issues in the latest release, 1.4.21.2).

--
Tilghman