[asterisk-users] does astcanary really work?

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Thu Aug 7 21:46:06 CDT 2008

On Wednesday 06 August 2008 04:09:13 Pavel Jezek wrote:
> A week ago, I tried give realtime priority to asterisk proces using -p
> switch,
> asterisk was running inside astcanary,
> but yestarday asterisk probably starts eating all cpu and lock any
> access to computer, only ping was possible,
> so, anybody have experience, that ascanary process does really work to
> lower process priority in case of overloading?

Not sure, but it should work if the sole issue is that the realtime process is
sitting in a busy loop.  Note that if the machine is inaccessible for other
reasons, like a kernel oops, then astcanary can do nothing about that.

Note that a Linux machine being pingable says nothing about the status
of the kernel.  A Linux machine will still reply to pings, even with the
kernel halted -- it's one of the rather strange behaviors peculiar to that
kernel.

--
Tilghman