[asterisk-users] Max amount of concurrent calls on and iax trunk

Chris Brentano chris.brentano at jivesoftware.com
Wed Aug 6 18:45:48 CDT 2008

I have two Asterisk 1.4 boxes connected via IAX over a VPN tunnel on a
10Mbit link. We never did any stress testing as it's a temporary
arrangement, but we've never had any call quality issues or run up
against concurrent call limitations. I'm mostly routing internal
extensions over the trunk, and in the case of two floating users I
have their extensions at each office ring when their DID is called.
One server is an older Pentium 4 1.7 GHz with 1GB Ram, and the other
is a Dual Xeon 2.33 GHz with 4GB Ram. As for codec, I'm disallowing
all except ulaw and gsm, with ulaw the priority codec for hardphones
(Polycom) and gsm the priority for softphones (X-Lite, Zoiper).

I would expect the limitation you're going to run up against is not
Asterisk, but the bandwidth between your two systems.