[asterisk-users] how many quad T1 cards

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Sun Aug 3 15:50:29 CDT 2008

Tilghman Lesher <tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com> writes:

> I'm not terribly sure that the PCI bus will stand up to that many interrupts
> per second, though it's certainly possible.

The PCI bus should be rather bored with 2Mbps per card. Only one card
should interrupt, but I am not sure whether Sangoma or Digium cards
are clever enough to do that. (In an ideal world they wouldn't
interrupt at all, the driver would poll.)

> Last I heard the PCI bus was nearly at capacity servicing just 3
> quad-span cards (note that the PCI bus has other things to service,
> like hard drive accesses, network, keyboard, etc.).

With PCI-Express every card has dedicated bandwidth.

> You'll probably do better with two machines, rather than trying to stack
> everything into one.

Now that I agree with. It would probably take serious optimizations to
get everything working. It would be fun to try actually.

/Benny