[asterisk-users] HI ~ good friend,

Steve Murphy murf at digium.com
Sat Aug 2 10:01:23 CDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 16:08 -0400, Dean Collins wrote:
> Yep I totally agree with you that documentation is an area digium is
> dropping the ball.

Mayhaps, but as one of the digium guys, I might add that Asterisk
content is not solely supplied by Digium. Users out there, dissatisfied
with documentation on various parts of Asterisk are more than welcome
to help fill in the gaps! Join #asterisk-doc, get on the mailing list,
put a sheet of paper in your typewriter (er, word processor), and
have at it!

As to dimensioning, I might add, that to do justice, and create
metrics, is a tremendous task. Factors that would affect the
calls/sec and concurrent calls numbers would be:

1. The drivers involved
2. the codecs in use
3. the hardware used (digium vs Sangoma, etc)
4. the CPU speed
5. the memory speed
6. the memory amount
7. the size of CPU caches
8. bus speeds
9. disk speeds
10. network effective bandwidth
11. Call logging (to console & CDR backends)
12. Asterisk software version
13. Hardware (dahdi, etc) driver versions
and so on.. I cannot even begin to enumerate all the factors.

(And, on top of the above, I'm willing to bet that for each
factor, the speed will probably NOT be a simple linear relationship)

Now, the Cisco guys and others can chop the list down because they
can set the hardware the software runs on. They can run a few
tests and come up with sets of metrics that give you an idea about
how fast the darn thing is.

But we just do the software. Digium sells cards, but they run
in a very widely different range of machines.

Coming up with a formula that you can plug numbers into would
be a big, expensive task, and by the time it was produced, it
would be wrong because of software fixes, speedups, slowdowns,
etc.

No, really, the only practical approach is for a user to freeze
all the factors he can, like software version and most of the
hardware numbers, and run load tests to see how well things
work out. In the end, the individual implementor is responsible
to know what his implementation can do. If the combo doesn't
meet his needs, he can get a faster cpu, more mem, etc.

murf