[asterisk-users] Newbie in China: Red alaram in Zaptel for E1

Walter Stanish walter at occidentsystems.com
Fri Aug 1 23:20:24 CDT 2008

On 7/31/08, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 05:36:14PM +1000, Lee, John (Sydney) wrote:
> > Yes, I tried all sorts of cables and ended up getting the local contact
> > to complain to NETCOM.  An engineer came and swapped the "Fast Ethernet
> > to E1" converter.
>
> Hmmm.
>
> Whose side is "Fast Ethernet", and whose side is E1?
>
> Are you trying to take the E1 that they've *converted into 100BT* for
> you and plug it into an E1 port?

Since this thread is still going I thought I'd chime in again.

With our working CNC setup in Kunming, they provide some kind of
router which breaks a single incoming fibre in to both 100BT and an E1
line that plugs in to the Sangoma card.

zaptel_hardware output is:
pci:0000:04:06.0     wanpipe-     1923:0300 Sangoma Technologies Corp.
A101 single-port T1/E1

/etc/asterisk/zapata.conf:
; Sangoma A102 port 1 [slot:6 bus:4 span:1] <wanpipe1>
switchtype=5ess
context=incoming-kunming
group=0
signalling=pri_cpe
channel =>1-15,17-31

One thing that caused issues when setting up for the first time was
the fact that dialling out without setting the correct 'caller ID'
would yield errors.  So, make sure in your dialplan you do this, or
outgoing testing may inexplicably fail.

A line like:
exten => s,n,Set(CALLERID(number)=021111222)

Also, if you have not set up an incoming context calling in over the
analog network will generate an error tone from the network, rather
than anything more obvious.  In this case somewhere in asterisk's
logfiles you can see "unknown extension" or an error of that sort that
appears each time an incoming attempt is made, but there are no other
clues.  So make sure your incoming contexts are set up!

Best of luck.

Regards,
Walter Stanish
Owner / Director