[asterisk-users] Cisco 7970, CTLSEP<mac>.tlv

Michiel van Baak michiel at vanbaak.info
Fri Aug 1 17:59:02 CDT 2008

On 15:02, Fri 01 Aug 08, Jason Parker wrote:
> I just wanted to post this so that it was out there and Googleable.  Hopefully
> it will save other people a bit of time.
>
> If you have a Cisco phone (I was testing with a 7970, though presumably it would
> affect 7960 and others as well) that is looping trying to fetch the CTL tlv file
> - it may be because you are using Debians 'tftpd' (should be
> netkit-tftpd...*cough*hey, Debian developers*cough*) package, which is
> apparently not RFC 783 (tftp) compliant with "file not found" responses.  The
> whopping 18 page RFC states that Error Code should be 0x00,0x01 for "file not
> found" errors, but netkit-tftpd returns 0x00,0x00 which is "Not defined" -
> causing the phone to ignore it and request the file again a few seconds later.
>
> Solution: Switch to any other tftpd.  The moment I switched to tftpd-hpa or
> atftpd, the phone stopped looping, picked up the SEP<mac>.cnf.xml file, and
> immediately registered to Asterisk.
>
> Hopefully in the future Debian will rename, remove, or fix this package so it is
> no longer the default tftpd.

Thanks for the write-up.
I tried with the latest 7960 firmware, and it did work with the default
debian tftpd (had to install a new VM)

For googleable stuff: The default tftpd on OpenBSD works fine ;)
--

Michiel van Baak
michiel at vanbaak.eu
http://michiel.vanbaak.eu

"Why is it drug addicts and computer aficionados are both called users?"