[asterisk-users] Asterisk on Xen or Dedicated

Hans Witvliet hwit at a-domani.nl
Wed Apr 30 17:33:19 CDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 13:11 +0100, Dee Lowndes wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>     I am trying to decide weather to move my asterisk setup on to a Xen
> setup or not. I do use transcoding, meetme and music on hold although in a
> purely sip scenario real lines are handled via cisco kit. Currently its a
> dedicated box with X100P card for timing handling it however it's starting
> to get a bit long in the tooth and I want to replace it. I currently handle
> up to 45 simultaneous calls but this will be doubling in the next year.
>
> Question is do I still need to worry about timing and if so can this be
> resolved in a Xen enviroment?
>
> One other question is how does multi cpu's scale is it better to have a
> highspeed dual core or a lower speed quad core?
>
> Any pointers greatly appreciated.
>
> Dee

Yes, you can.
I have both the latest 1.4 and also 1.6 running as a XEN-dom-u.
Used SuSE-10.3 as dom-0 and dom-u and  prebuild asterisk rpm from the
build-server. No problem what so ever, although just pure digital call.

Big question remains, why would you want to do it?
In my case, a test environment, it makse sense.
I can freeze the image and use the footprint for other experiments.

For production however, i would rather see my pabx running on a
dedicated platform, as small as possible (no-break-power backup), not a
power hungry large server....