[asterisk-users] Hyperthreading and multicore

Rob Hillis rob at hillis.dyndns.org
Tue Apr 29 08:55:48 CDT 2008

Matt Florell wrote:
> Also, I have heard HT processors explained this way, on an HT
> processor it's like running 2 virtual processors at 70% of the specs
> of the processor with HT turned off. It's not really like that in all
> situations, but overall it has held pretty much true for me in most
> non-Asterisk situations. Asterisk didn't benefit much from having HT
> enabled on a P4 with HT capability.

That wouldn't surprise me - after all, HyperThreading works on the
principle of allowing two "threads" to use different dedicated processor
resources (such as floating point math processors and so on) at the same
time... however if two threads are trying to use the same processor
resource, one thread will be "suspended" until that resource becomes
available.