[asterisk-users] Hyperthreading and multicore

Matt Florell astmattf at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 15:02:35 CDT 2008

On 4/28/08, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 11:15:42AM +1000, Rob Hillis wrote:
>  >    Two dual core processors would should four processors - each processor has
>  >    two virtual processors for a total of four.
>
>  I *think* Rob wrote that; *please*, people, turn your HTML off on
>  mailing lists?  :-)
>
>  Two dual-cores don't have *any* "virtual" processors; all four cores
>  are real.
>
>  The processors that are "virtual" are the ones on HT Pentiums.
>
>  Cheers,
>  -- jra

Multi-core processors on the Intel side are typically much faster and
run cooler than P4/Xeon Hyperthreading processors.

Also, I have heard HT processors explained this way, on an HT
processor it's like running 2 virtual processors at 70% of the specs
of the processor with HT turned off. It's not really like that in all
situations, but overall it has held pretty much true for me in most
non-Asterisk situations. Asterisk didn't benefit much from having HT
enabled on a P4 with HT capability.

MATT---