[asterisk-users] Playback / Background / Read choppy, but musiconhold fine, even with ztdummy

Benjamin Jacob ben4asterisk at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 28 11:39:00 CDT 2008

-
> >  In the process of cleaning up unnecesary
> processes, I
> >  came across this line :
> >
> >  /usr/sbin/vmware-guestd --background
> >  /var/run/vmware-guestd.pid
> >
> >  GASP!!!! so does this mean this is a virtual
> machine??
> >  I have got no idea about virtualization yet. So
> how do
> >  I confirm if this is a virtual machine or not??
> >
> >  And is it advised to run asterisk on a virtual
> >  machine?
> >

> >  - Ben.
>
> Ben,
>
> Who is providing your server?  I assume it is in a
> colo.  Ask them or
> see if they mention it in their agreement or sales
> material.  Finally,
> you can just ask them.  If they claimed a dedicated
> server, complain.
>
> It seems you are running on a virtual machine and
> no, that is not advisable.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve Totaro

Steve,
Naa.. it's not co-lo. It's a dedicated server for
sure, but my client wants to make the most out of one
box, it seems.
Talked to the client today and confirmed that it is
indeed a virtual machine. They said they had
previously installed asterisk around a year back on a
virtual machine with no issues. I did not have any
solid convincing response to that. I do understand
about virtualization not being a recommended thing to
do. Now to convince the client.

Also, if I put in a fxo/fxs card, i've read somewhere
that virtual machines won't be able to access the card
n hence the timing provided by it. Is it true?

thanks again Steve and the rest of you.

- Ben.