[asterisk-users] zap not coming online on fedora 8

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Mon Apr 28 07:14:14 CDT 2008

Bilal,

I cannot comment on the init scripts because I don't use them.

Since nobody chimed in that using rc.local was not optimal, I suspect
it is perfectly acceptable and has worked for me just fine on MANY
installs.  Finally, instead of having to do some fishing in
/var/log/asterisk and /var/log/messages, the error (if any) is usually
right near the end of the log file making it easier to find.

Also, if you are using qozap, wanrouter, ztdummy (insert card here) it
makes a difference in what order the drivers are loaded and it seems
very clear to me that using rc.local makes it simple.

I got into Asterisk six years ago or so, I do not believe "make
config" was an option back then and if it was, I like to load
everything myself.  I also like the fact that rc.local runs after all
the other init scripts.

Safe_asterisk should not be an issue, it should just restart asterisk
if it crashes, apologies if I gave you the wrong idea.  The only
problem with safe_asterisk is that it keeps scrolling along if
Asterisk fails to load.  I guess you could kill it in top.

Hope that makes things a little more clear.  My example in this thread
should give you an idea of how easy and clear it is.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro