[asterisk-users] Manual Wardialer

Matt Florell astmattf at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 23:37:29 CDT 2008

On 4/27/08, Andreas van dem Helge <joakimsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> So I can't dial my own number blocks for auditing? I do this manually
>  right now.... dial 1 number, dial another on and on it gets very
>  tedious and sometimes you loose your place. Approx every 2 months per
>  number. The companies using these numbers have very specific reasons
>  for requiring these audits, but franky I don't think its needed.
>
>  AFAIK in my state doing that is legal because:
>
>  1) Its not telemarketing
>  2) its with the intent to communicate (if someone answers an
>  3) its for a legit business purpose, so its not harassment
>  4) The owner of the numbers (my company) and the users of the number
>  (the clients) have expressly authorized this, although the law does
>  not mention authorization I think this would be justification enough.
>
>  I am not familar with any FTC / federal regulations since we don't
>  telemarket I didn't think they were relevant but you do remind me when
>  anything crosses a state line it can usually be considered "interstate
>  commerce"... any resource you might have for interstate phone calling
>  laws?
>
>  I was thinking VCDial too... let me give that a try I've always wanted
>  to mess with it anyways. I think I could load all the number ranges at
>  one time also instead of doing one range at a time like I was
>  thinking.
>
>  And yes this is not "war dialing" because I looked up the definition
>  and it seems "war dialing" is just scanning for modems, which is not
>  the case here.

If you expressly have permission then you can pretty much do anything
you want. The regulations banning sequential auto dialing are
primarily to prevent fishing for numbers with no intention of
contacting people that first time you are calling them.

It sounds like you are doing service level verification calling, which
is very different from war dialing. Especially since you control the
numbers you are calling.

>  On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 9:23 AM, Matt Florell <astmattf at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
>  >
>  >  Sequential auto-dialing like this is pretty much illegal in the USA.
>  >  The FTC has specific regulations against this as well as several
>  >  states.
>  >
>  >
>  >  Obligatory Simpsons reference:
>  >  http://www.internerd.com/frink.retired/frinkv.3/inventions/at5000-2.gif
>  >  http://www.snpp.com/episodes/4F01.html
>  >

> My servers generally don't have built in legs or otherwise any way to
>  automatically relocate itself :)

Wouldn't that be handy in if there was a power or data outage?   :)

MATT---