[asterisk-users] Quality problems with ISDN PRI

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Sat Apr 26 14:17:19 CDT 2008

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008, Steve Totaro wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 2:37 PM, Benny Amorsen <benny+usenet at amorsen.dk> wrote:
>> "Steve Totaro" <stotaro at totarotechnologies.com> writes:
>>
>> > My dual proc, dual core AMD boxen show as four procs.  I guess the AMD
>> > architecture uses Hypertheading (or whatever the equivalent is for
>> > AMD, I assume Intel owns the rights to the name Hyperthreading).
>>
>>  I think the more likely explanation is that two times two is four.
>>

>>  /Benny
>>

> But then that gets back to my Intel C2D show as two procs.  2 x 2 = 2.
> Or is C2D not four cores?

Have a look at the 'flag's in /proc/cpuinfo

If there's a 'ht' then it's a hyperthreading core.

Otherwise its a 'real' processor, and if there are N on a chip, then well
and good.

Hyperthreading is like having an extra quarter of a processor, depending
on what tasks you're doing.

But some BIOSes can disable the HT part of a core, and a modern kernel
ought to have hyperthreading support compiled in to make the best use of
it. (Another reason I always custom compile kernels for my applications)

As far as I'm aware, AMD hasn't made a "hyperthreaded" core, so it's
"real" cores on the same chip. So if the "dual proc, dual core" unit above
has 2 CPU chips, then it's 4 processors.

Going back to Intel: "Core 2" is Intels name for that particular family of
processors. The 2 in the name does not indicate the number of cores! So
you can have a Core 2 Solo - one core, Core 2 Duo - 2 cores and Core 2
Quad - 4 cores.

Gory details:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperthread
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_2