[asterisk-users] Roaming callback?

Jaap Winius jwinius at umrk.to
Sat Apr 26 08:32:37 CDT 2008

Hi list,

Regarding callback functionality, it seems that Asterisk only includes
a provision for callback in the voicemail configuration, for
authorization purposes, but not an actual callback mechanism. For
that, there are various
free 3rd party AGI (Asterisk Gateway Interface) scripts available:

   * Asterisk tips callback
   http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+tips+callback

   * capi Callback
   http://www.junghanns.net/en/callback.html

Looking at the scripts, they don't seem too difficult to implement,
but they don't exactly work as I was hoping either. First, they
require your system to have a dedicated callback number that you ring
once and then hang up. The system then calls you back at a predefined
number, e.g. your mobile phone. Not a very flexible solution.

What I had in mind was an option in the voicemail menu that would
allow you to dial a number -- any number -- at which the system would
call you back. I'd call this roaming callback. Is anything like this
available for Asterisk?

Cheers,

Jaap