[asterisk-users] Quality problems with ISDN PRI

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Sat Apr 26 07:52:06 CDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 4:15 PM, Matt Florell <astmattf at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/25/08, Jared Smith <jsmith at digium.com> wrote:
>  > On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 18:48 +0000, Arthur wrote:
>  >  > I still hope someone would enlighten us by his experience in doing
>  >  > call recordings without  recording to RAM Drive.
>  >
>  >
>  > I can't speak for Steve's solution (as I'm not sure exactly what he's
>  >  doing) but I could take a stab in the dark and guess that he's capturing
>  >  the audio at the network layer (on a completely different box than
>  >  Asterisk is running on) and recording it from there.  But that's just a
>  >  guess...
>
>  To address several points:
>
>  OrecX (http://www.orecx.com/) can do call recording outside of the
>  Asterisk core using several different methods depending on your needs
>  and channeltypes. In fact even with Sangoma TDM cards you can capture
>  audio at the kernel level and send the audio as RTP streams very
>  efficiently(3% CPU load for 92 channels) to an OrecX server on your
>  network. It must be mentioned that setting up Orecx with retrieval
>  might be a little complex for some Asterisk users, especially if you
>  are recording a large amount of calls, or are recording on more than
>  one Asterisk server, and if you choose this route you would do well to
>  hire an experienced consultant(or contact Oreca directly) to do the
>  install for you.
>
>  As far as Asterisk-based recording, writing to a RAM drive(or tmpfs)
>  is about your only option if you are planning on doing more than 50
>  concurrent recordings, if you are using Asterisk it is a viable and
>  tested solution. I have several client systems that are recording well
>  over 50 calls concurrently on a daily basis this way.
>
>  If you will be recording directly to hard drives with any frequency or
>  volume I would strongly recommend NOT using standard IDE or SATA hard
>  drives, they burn up and fast. Use a caching SCSI drive controller
>  with some high quality SCSI drives and you can record to those drives
>  for years even at 40 concurrent channels recording all day every day.
>
>  Hope that helps,
>
>  MATT---

I paid for the OrecX ability to save the recordings as the sipcallid.
This is fairly easy to track and match up in a CRM so long as you are
writing to a DB.

Before that you just had a bunch of folders based on day and hour and
the filenames were impossible to track, IP address and time I believe.
 Not much use when recording 15k calls a day.

I also worked with Bruno @ Oreca to get their "passive recording"
solution from it's infancy (~10 or so concurrent calls) to a real
enterprise solution (maxing at ~200 concurrent recordings per server).

Thanks,
Steve Totaro