[asterisk-users] Graphing Jitter Packet loss and Latency for SIP Calls

Grey Man greymanvoip at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 20:16:53 CDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 10:55 PM, Vikas <topgun9 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Requirement:  Monitor the QOS for the SIP phones connecting to the voip server.
>
>  Ideal solution: Browder based reporting software that I can install on
>  the asterisk server (I use freepbx) and when I connect to this
>  reporting engine it gives me the Jitter loss, packet loss and latency
>  for each of the calls that the extensions connecting to this asterisk
>  server make and receive.
>
>  Network design:
>  A. The sip endpoints: 6 polycom 650 phones in India connecting to an
>  VOIP server.
>  B. Network between the SIP endpoints and VOIP server: The Indian
>  office has 5 different ISPs giving the internet connection. Each ISP
>  has a different packet loss latnecy and Jitter and these change over
>  time. So I want a way to be able to select the best ISP on a given
>  day.
>  C. VOIP server: hosted at he.net datacenter and acts as the gateway
>  between the sip endpoints and the PSTN gateway.
>  D. PSTN gateway: Broadvoice for outgoing calls and exgn.net for
>  incoming calls on the 800 number
>
>  Things I have looked at:
>  1. Wireshark -> I did not find a good reporting engine which I can
>  automate to collect data and then graph it.
>  2. Endian 2.2
>  3. IPCop
>
>  I would really appreciate any insights on how to monitor the QOS.
>
>  Thanks for your time,

I doubt you'll find a good solution for free (if you do I for one
would love to hear about it).

My company looked at monitoring QoS about 18 months ago. We ended up
evaluating on of the Hammer products from Empirix. At the time of the
eval the product couldn't do much in real-time with QoS stats such as
jitter and you could only collate general statistical information at
the end of the call. Subsequent to our eval the product was enhanced
to provide better real-time reporting and in the end I don't think
there was too much it couldn't do. The drawback then came down to
price which is hefty. I suspect the Empirix range of products won't
suit your needs due to price but they could be worth checking out to
give you a guide as to how QoS monitoring could be done.

As an aside I beleive Digium are using the Empirix load tools in some
kind of partnership arrangement to stress test Asterisk these days.

Regards,

Greyman.