[asterisk-users] Digium B410P or Sangoma A502D?

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Thu Apr 24 19:17:21 CDT 2008

The Sangoma kernel drivers are different than Zaptel, while running
the install script you are asked if you would like to generate the
Zaptel configs but it is not required, you must also run wancfg to
configure the cards beyond the Zaptel configs.  The Sangoma drivers
kind of run on top of the Zaptel.

It seems that the newest wanpipe drivers and Zaptel 1.4 work without
the D chan patch which is very nice IMO, I hate patches.  I have run
the BRIStuff install and it has tons of patches!  Kind of scary but it
works for it's purpose.

I have only done BRI once but there was absolutely no echo by simply
setting echocancel=yes, echocancelwhenbridged=no.

I hear "might as well get the hardware EC board" quite a bit, but on
all the many dozens of PRIs I have installed, software EC has been
adequate (if needed at all).  It would have meant quite a bit of
wasted money that was better spent on a nice 48 port gigabit switch.

I have tested both ways (hardware vs. software), no difference really
(Sangoma).  Sangoma actually sent me one of each before purchasing
seven quad cards to test if hardware EC was going to be required for
one deployment.  I returned the hardware EC card and ordered seven
quad PRI cards.

Maybe I am just lucky or have not had enough exposure to BRI but ISDN
is ISDN, right (it really is a question, I don't know)?  Now on
analog, that is a horse of a different color, also the  phone on
either side, but especially your side can be the culprit (older
Grandstream for one) Polycom seems to eliminate much of this.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro