[asterisk-users] users.conf and voicemail

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Mon Apr 21 22:10:31 CDT 2008

On Monday 21 April 2008 20:44, Kyle Gibbons wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 1:14 PM, Jeremy Mann <jmann at txhmg.com> wrote:
> >  Is there a way to specify per user attachment options for voicemail,
> > from within users.conf?
> >
> > I know I can enable or disable it globally in voicemail.conf, but I have
> > certain users that like the attachment feature, and others that don't.
> >
> > Also, can you enable/disable per user the deletion if it's attached?
>
> If you use voicemail.conf to configure the voicemail users, instead of
> using users.conf, you can just specify the voicemail box without an e-mail
> address and it will not send the e-mail notification of the voicemail to
> the user. I am not sure if this was your exact question, or if you wanted
> to send the user an e-mail, just without an extension. As far as deletion,
> if you are using the standard method of just attaching the message to an
> e-mail, then deleting the e-mail will not have any effect on the voicemail
> message on the asterisk server. However, you can use IMAP to send the
> e-mail to the user in which case it can be deleted from Asterisk directly
> from the e-mail client. I do not believe that you can turn this feature on
> or off by user, but I could be wrong. Hope this answers some of your
> question, let me know if I need to clarify anything.

I think what he was looking for was confirmation that you can specify the
same option names in users.conf as you can in voicemail.conf, and yes,
that is the case.  So just use the same option names, I think in this case,
attach=yes and delete=yes, and everything will work just as if it had been
specified in voicemail.conf.  Note that just like in voicemail.conf, you
cannot disable the actual sending of the message without blanking out the
email address.

Oh, and just like ODBC voicemail, the implied fields in voicemail.conf have
the same name in both the database and users.conf.  Those are "fullname",
"email", and "pager".  So it's quite similar to other configuration interfaces
in terms of naming, even though it's in users.conf.

The only one that is really different is "vmsecret", mainly because you do not
want to change your SIP authentication password when you're trying to change
your voicemail password.  That would really suck, otherwise.

--
Tilghman