[asterisk-users] Switch recommendation?

Sean Dennis sean at datawhale.com
Mon Apr 21 16:54:59 CDT 2008

Hilary Miller wrote:
> This will be my first major asterisk experiment and I'm trying to
> choose a PoE switch for 15-24 phones. I was going to spend $400 on
> this:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16833124053
>
> but then I see this on ebay:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/WS-C3524-PWR-XL-EN-Cisco-3524-24-FE-Switch-W-PoE-VoIP_W0QQitemZ370043264927QQihZ024QQcategoryZ51268QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>
> and I'm thinking, hey, thats a lot cheaper and it is PoE. Will the
> Cisco IP phone's proprietary wizardry be a problem for my flock on
> Linksys IP phones? Because as long as it can do vlan qos and poe I
> think I can scrape by for half the price, right?
>
> Thanks for reading!

The Cisco 3524 switch doesn't support 802.3af which is what your Linksys
phones are going to want.  If you have just Cisco phones this would
work.  To have 802.3af you have to have at least a Cisco 3560 series switch.

See:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_tech_note09186a00801189b5.shtml#powerover
for reference