[asterisk-users] Busy (congestion) signal and cell phones

Mark Gimelfarb mark at dawebber.com
Wed Apr 16 09:54:23 CDT 2008

I'm in the US, so I was originally using the US tones.
Looks like I'm getting a disconnect with both CONGESTION and BUSY. In
fact, I wasn't actually using Congestion() and Busy(), I just did
Playtones() for both of those. There is no reason to send PRI messages
to cell phones, is there? The way I understand, they do frequency
interpretation on the incoming tones, just like analog lines do
voltage variations. So, to test that, I Playtones()'ed (Pardon my
DialPlan-ish dialect) Austrian busy tones--and the cell phone actually
played tones back to me. So, to me that means that cell phones look
for  frequency sequences that they recognize.

Now, here's an interesting observation. If I take an analog phone and
take it off hook and then call that number from a cell phone, I do
hear a busy tone. Is that because analog equipment doesn't generate
the exact tone sequence due to analog limitations? This is in addition
to my original question.

Regards,
Mark.