[asterisk-users] Busy (congestion) signal and cell phones

Mark Gimelfarb mark at dawebber.com
Wed Apr 16 08:40:42 CDT 2008

Hello, all!
I've noticed a peculiar situation and I am hoping someone can shed
some light on it for me. We have an Asterisk (1.4.18 ) box talking to
the world via Zaptel on a PRI from a telco (USA). I have an extension
that returns busy signal (fast-busy or regular busy) (using US tones).
When I call from a landline or from another PBX, I get a busy signal,
just like I expect. But when I call from a cell phone, the cell phone
terminates the call as soon as connection is established. I've tested
several cell phone models from different providers in the US. Same
thing happens with calls coming from Gizmo.

I manually changed the tones I send back (with Playtones) to mimic
Austrian busy tone (picked the first one in the list from
indications.conf) . Now, from the cell phone and Gizmo alike, I get
busy tones. So, my questions is:

why do cell phones and Gizmo both detect busy tones and terminate the
call? Is that a standard behavior? Why don't landlines do that?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Mark G.