[asterisk-users] Hangup conundrum with RxFAX

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Wed Apr 16 07:56:13 CDT 2008

Heres something that's making me scratch my head... I'm using RxFAX on
ISDN lines and in-general it's going well.

However, there seems to be a case when the fax doesn't get delivered, but
looking through the CDRs it seems that the call happened, RxFAX was
executed .. time passed (1-2+ minutes) then hangup.

I'm wondering if some FAX machines just hangup after the call rather than
complete some sort of ending negotiation, or if the RxFAX part misses the
end and just sees the hangup..

Now, in a "normal" fax machine, it's going to print the fax regardless,
even if the last page is only half full because of a genuine line drop or
hangup, but it seems that:

[Description]
   RxFAX(filename[|caller][|debug]): Receives a FAX from the channel into the
   Returns -1 when the user hangs up.
   Returns 0 otherwise.

So if it's returning -1, then the call/channel is hungup, and any dialplan
instructions after it won't get executed, even though there might be some
(or all) pages of the fax sitting in the receive file...

Does this make sense to anyone, or am I barking up the wrong tree!

My thoughts now are to actually do a hangup at the end of the RxFAX and
rely on a 'h' extension to pick it up and carry on with the 2nd half
(which is PDFing and emailling the fax), but I'm concerned I'm going to
lose the channel variables as it suggests on the wiki, so I'll lose the
REMOTESTATIONID string and caller ID...

Anyone with any experience of this, or suggestions otherwise?

Thanks,

Gordon