[asterisk-users] Is Asterisk really good??

Matt Florell astmattf at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 10:08:21 CDT 2008

On 4/14/08, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 04:39:39PM -0700, Steve Edwards wrote:
>  > The "shell script" approach has the advantage of "light weight." I do a
>  > "minimal" Centos 5 install and wget a single script which does everything
>  > -- configures the network, installs packages (OpenSER, Asterisk, Zaptel,
>  > Libpri, MySQL), adds users, and configures everything from services to
>  > timezone. I may stick with it, but it's getting a bit combersome and am
>  > interested in what has worked for others.
>

> Noted.  Our solution may not help you all that much; I gather that with
>  the exception of one small chunk of one file, all our boxen are
>  configured exactly the same.

It is actually two small chunks of two small files in Asterisk and one
line in the vicidial conf file, and that's about it for unique server
configurations, everything else is pretty much the same.

We did recently add a custom backup utility to our SVN for
VICIDIAL(AST_backup.pl) that will backup all conf files, agi, sound
and other files(optionally web files and mysql DB and my.cnf backup)
and tar/gz them then send to FTP server. This has worked well for
multi-server backups for a couple of our clients so far and it will be
included with the next release of VICIDIAL.

The idea behind the script is to create a very simple hot-spare
solution where all you have to do to replace a running machine is
change the IP address of the spare server and un-tar/gz the file on a
base-installed system and it will take the place of the failed machine
within minutes. We haven't had to use it in production in this
capacity yet, but it has worked in testing.

MATT---