[asterisk-users] OT - How to check HPET is on and working before installing Asterisk ?

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Fri Apr 11 08:46:29 CDT 2008

2008/4/11, Godwin Stewart Horwich IT Services <g.stewart at horwits.co.uk>:

> On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 14:32:36 +0200, Olivier <oza-4h07 at myamail.com> wrote:
>
> > So my question remains :
> > how can I be certain HPET is included and enabled without messing with
> > zaptel and subsequent operations ?
>

> HPET is part of the Linux kernel. "Messing with zaptel and subsequent
> operations" is not going to get it working. If none of the tests I
> described reveal it then it is not included in your kernel and you need to
> build a new one which includes it.

You're certainly right.
I thought Lenny defaulted with HPET support.
Either, this is not true or my hardware doesn't support it or my
configuration doesn't enable it.

I fished this on  Lesswatts.org
"*Which chipsets support HPET timers?*

If you have an ICH6 or higher chipset, you should be fine. Some support
exists on ICH5 chipsets.

*How do I know if HPET is really active on my system?*

First, HPET must be compiled in the kernel. However, having HPET compiled in
the kernel and a hardware chipset supporting HPET doesn't guarantee that
HPET is active. You can verify this with the command:
grep hpet /proc/timer_list
If this doesn't show the word "hpet" then it's not active.
The BIOS may hide this functionality as well. You should try the
force-enable HPET patch from http://linuxpowertop.org/known.php."

I tried it but it doesn't show anything such as "HPET is disabled" or "Your
hardware can't support HPET".

Though this raises several questions (mainly, "Why is HPET no enabled ?"),
I've got the answer to my initial question ("grep hpet /proc/timer_list").

Thank you very much.