[asterisk-users] Phantom Rings

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Fri Apr 11 08:46:02 CDT 2008

> I'm fairly certain the problem is with the phone line.  I have all
> callerID settings disabled as the Telco is unable to provide it along
> with our rollover line setup due to limitations in their antiquated
> switch.  The CLI and Logs all plainly show the calls as if they were
> normal calls with the exception of a message about "Failed to write
> frame" and no DTMF attempts, then the call is routed into the operator
> queue.  The calls always came in on Zap1-1 so I tried swapping the 2
> lines to see if it stayed on port 1 or if the phantom followed the
> line.  As expected, the phantom rings followed the line and began
> showing up on Zap2-1.  So it pretty has to be something in the telco,
> but I'm not sure what.  Putting "WaitForRing(3) before the "Answer"
> command in my IVR menu eliminates most of them, but sometimes more of
> them slip through.

I get a similar problem with a domestic analogue line in the UK.  I
*speculate* that there is a short half ring being sent for some reason
(line test or similar), but my card (Digium) seems to need about 5
seconds to detect hangup on the remote end, so I get a phantom 2 rings
at my end and then it stops...

No solution, but thought it might give you something to consider...

Ed W