[asterisk-users] OT - How to check HPET is on and working before installing Asterisk ?

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Fri Apr 11 07:32:36 CDT 2008

2008/4/11, Godwin Stewart Horwich IT Services <g.stewart at horwits.co.uk>:

> On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 08:40:20 +0200, Olivier <oza-4h07 at myamail.com> wrote:
>
> > Before installating Asterisk, zaptel and so on (and independently of
> > those), I would like to check HPET is on and working.
>

> $ zgrep HPET /proc/config.gz
> CONFIG_HPET_TIMER=y
> CONFIG_HPET=y
> CONFIG_HPET_RTC_IRQ=y
> CONFIG_HPET_MMAP=y

I don't have any config.gz file in proc/ (nor any other directory), at the
moment

Or, if your config is not exposed under /proc, then this:

> $ grep HPET /usr/src/linux/.config
> CONFIG_HPET_TIMER=y
> CONFIG_HPET=y
> CONFIG_HPET_RTC_IRQ=y
> CONFIG_HPET_MMAP=y

I installed a plain Debian Lenny linux so I don't have headers nor sources
installed.
I choose Lenny because I hoped it included and configured HPET, by default.

As a last resort, if the kernel's config is available under /proc and you
> don't have the kernel source installed:
>
> $ grep hpet /proc/timer_list
> Clock Event Device: hpet
>   set_next_event: hpet_legacy_next_event
>   set_mode:       hpet_legacy_set_mode

I can't see any  hpet  string within /proc/timer_list file.

HPET showing up as not working means a kernel rebuild.

> --
> Godwin Stewart - Horwich IT services

So my question remains :
how can I be certain HPET is included and enabled without messing with
zaptel and subsequent operations ?
Sure, next step will be to install Asterisk and Zaptel, but at this point of
my installation process, I would like to check HPET without going any
further.