[asterisk-users] Question about custom Asterisk billing engine

Pete Kay petedao at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 04:33:02 CDT 2008

Dear all,

I am working on a customized billing engine.  The reason why I am writing up
one instead of using the existing package is because I have my own UI that I
want to use for displaying data and registration.   Also, I would like to
keep a record of the among of times user spend in the different
functionalities when an incoming call occurs.

I am planning to record an audit trail of any incoming/outcoming call
through the use of AGI which simply puts status info and a session unique
id into the DB before and after an outgoing /incoming call is made.  For the
incoming call, I would like to also record any forwarding call in the audit
trail so users can see how many seconds they spend on listening to voice
mail and how many second they spend in forwarding to an external phone.

In order to fulfill this function, is using AGI call to record the status
info frequently inside the dialplan a feasible solution?  Is this the right
approach in developing a billing solution for Asterisk?

Thanks alot for you inputs.

Regards,
Pete