[asterisk-users] Advice on best operator phone (with attendant console)

Faraz R. Khan faraz.khan at emergen.biz
Wed Apr 9 00:27:53 CDT 2008

To be fair to the engineers at grandstream - an update to the latest
1.1.6.16 firmware seems to make the phones very very stable. I now have
a couple GXP2000s running at high call volume for the past 3 days
without any issue (usually it would happen within an hour).

Problem is that Polycom/Aastra seem to not be interested in sales
outside US and Europe. Their channel management seems quite weak and
their sales people simply seem uninterested in third world country
sales. After being on the phone with Polycom US for 30 minutes I still
could not get hold of a person responsible for APAC/EMEA sales (my call
got transferred 6 times). Maybe its just my bad luck but it has happened
twice now :)

Grandstream on the other hand is extremely helpful in negotiating good
deals, giving heavy discount, arranging for shipping from nearby
warehouses etc..

I think the problem may be that they release their firmwares WAY too
quickly, earning them a bad reputation.