[asterisk-users] Voicemail- Recorded Mesage Low Volume

Daniel Hazelbaker daniel at highdesertchurch.com
Wed Apr 2 11:29:48 CDT 2008

On Apr 1, 2008, at 5:22 PM, asterisk-users-request at lists.digium.com
wrote:

>  Can the volume of the recorded voice mail message be changed?  If
> so, what I am doing wrong?  Any input would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks.

I had a similar problem in our setup where we e-mail the recorded
messages to e-mail retrieval.  But this also helps standard phone
retrieval too.  What I did was edit the /usr/sbin/safe_asterisk script
and add:

PATH="/usr/local/bin:$PATH"

At the top of the script. This would let me override the default sox
implementation that Asterisk uses.  Then I loaded in a script (called
sox) that would compress and normalize the recorded audio (It
compresses to deal with the spikes of the noise of the handset being
hung up, etc.). It works pretty well for us and makes the volume
pretty good so we don't have to crank up the volume on our computers
or phones to listen to voicemail messages.  And we can't adjust the
rxgain as it is already a good volume for normal calls.

Daniel

--CUT--
#!/bin/sh
#
# $1 = -v
# $2 = number
# $3 = inFile
# $4 = outFile
#
REALSOX="/usr/bin/sox"

if [ "$1" != "-v" ]; then
   $REALSOX $*
   exit $?
fi

INFILE="$3"
OUTFILE="$4"

#
# Perform the gain adjustment.
#
$REALSOX "$INFILE" "$OUTFILE" compand 0.1,0.3
-60,-60,-30,-15,-20,-12,-4,-8,-2,-7 0 0 0.2
--CUT--