[asterisk-users] help with no audio

Jerry Geis geisj at pagestation.com
Wed Apr 2 08:45:11 CDT 2008

Jerry Geis wrote:

>> On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 13:24 -0400, Jerry Geis wrote:
>> >/ I call into the dialplan and try to play demo-congrats and I hear
>> nothing.
>> />/ />/ Firewall is disabled. />/ Everything is on the 192.168.1.X
>> network for this simple configuration.
>> />/ The tftp server is giving the polycom phone the config files.
>> />/ />/ Any ideas why I dont hear audio?
>> /
>> Do you happen to have an unconfigured T1 card in your machine?  That's
>> the most common problem I see for people when they get no audio at all
>> coming out of Asterisk.  If that's not the case, I'd turn RTP debugging
>> on in the command-line and make sure RTP packets are coming and going
>> from the Asterisk box.
>>
>> --
>> Jared Smith
>> Community Relations Manager
>> Digium, Inc.
>
> Jared,
>
> I have no card in this unit at this time.
> lsmod shows ztdummy loaded.
>
> I turned on "rtp debug" and got a bunch of lines like:
> Got RTP packet from 192.168.1.99:2226 ....
>
> Does that help you?
>
> Jerry

Jared,

Using the "rtp debug" I noticed that when the phone has no audio all I
see is:
Got RTP packet ...
Got RTP packet...

There are no Sent RTP packets..

under normal cases there is One sent and one Got:
Got RTP packet...
Sent RTP packet...

Why would asterisk not be sending RTP packets????

I have no hardware card in this test system. Just two polycom IP330 phones.
Once in a great while I will hear audio when calling into the dialplan
and playing demo-congrats.
95% of the time I hear NO audio though. I am using asterisk 1.4.18,
libpri 1.4.3 and zaptel 1.4.9.2 (ztdummy is loaded)

Why might asterisk NOT be sending  RTP packets?

Jerry