[asterisk-users] zaptel alarm

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Wed Apr 2 08:28:15 CDT 2008

I've been a happy user of asterisk for over a year just for a small home
setup (a Digium TDM400P with one POTS line and three internal extensions
plus a couple of SIP phones). I recently moved from running Fedora Core
6 running * 1.4.1 compiled from source and zaptel 1.4.7 to Fedora 8,
using the RPM package for * 1.4.18 and zaptel 1.4.9 . It worked fine for
a week, but suddenly I can't dial out any more. Incoming calls work
fine, and outgoing calls through my Teliax line (IAX2) work fine, but I
get a fast busy if I try to dial out through the land line. All that
appears in the messages log is:

[Apr  2 07:13:48] WARNING[24249] chan_zap.c: Detected alarm on channel
4: No Alarm
[Apr  2 07:13:48] NOTICE[24242] chan_zap.c: Alarm cleared on channel 4

"core set debug 3" doesn't give any more detail.

I have tried stopping asterisk, restarting zaptel (unloading and
reloading), and starting asterisk, but the behavior persists.

Anybody know what this means? Has my hardware suddenly gone bad? Is
there some way to debug this?

I apologize in advance for not knowing all the telephone terminology; as
I said, this is just a small home setup.

--Greg