[asterisk-users] . (period): Wildcard match; matches one or more characters

Mojo with Horan & Company, LLC mojo at horanappraisals.com
Fri Sep 28 16:52:38 CDT 2007

An example similar to one that exists in many dialplans:

exten => _011.,1,Dial(Zap/g1/${EXTEN})

which would match any international number as dialed from North America
because, depending on what country you'd be calling, the number of
digits after the 011 would differ.  As such, putting the period after
the 011 says 'match 011 followed by one or more digits".  To use the
wildcard characters, 'X', 'N', or '.',  I had to also prefix my
extension with '_', which enables pattern matching.

Mojo