[asterisk-users] Changing contexts "on the fly"

David Gomillion david.gomillion at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 11:59:53 CDT 2007

On 9/28/07, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 05:28:21PM +0100, Ade Vickers wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I've been playing around with an Asterisk server in my office for a few
> > weeks now, and I've got it pretty much nailed down the way I want it,
> which
> > is nice.
> >
> > One of the features I'm using is the ability to switch different
> contexts in
> > & out of the dialplan on a schedule. So, for example, I've got the
> > "official" tel number ringing my desk phone between 9.00-17.30 mon-fri;
> and
> > out of those hours any caller gets a recorded message + sent to
> voicemail.
> >
> > However, I'm quite often working later than 17.30, and would quite like
> > be able to easily "flick a switch" which tells Asterisk that, actually,
> I'm
> > here in the office, and I'd quite like to receive calls. Currently, I
> have
> > to alter dialplans.conf, comment out a couple of lines & uncomment
> another;
> > save & then re-load the dialplan.
> >
> > I'm guessing I've got 3 options open to me:
> >
> > 1) Convert from using the various .conf files, to using a "realtime"
> config,
> > then write a small front-end to the DB so I can access the settings from
> > simple switch on my Windows desktop
> > 2) Write some kind of script which I can execute on the Asterisk box
> which
> > makes the same changes I'm currently making manually
> > 3) Some other option I've not thought of...
>
> 4) Use a condional dialplan. e.g GotoIfTime or other uses of GotoIf .

Now, add a flag that allows your calls to be routed as either:
1. Default - route according to the schedule
2. Open - give me the calls, to heck with the time
3. Closed - leave me alone. Yes, I know what time it is, but I don't care.

Put this before the GotoIfTime stuff, and it can override however you'd
like.

We did this, but added a few fancy things, like ClosedForHurricane mode. It
allows us to record a message as to which dates patients have been
rescheduled to, says the time of the last update, and a few other goodies.

Have fun with it. You can do just about anything you can dream of. Except
solve the halting problem. Ah well...