[asterisk-users] Changing contexts "on the fly"

Ade Vickers javickers at solutionengineers.com
Fri Sep 28 11:28:21 CDT 2007

Hi folks,

I've been playing around with an Asterisk server in my office for a few
weeks now, and I've got it pretty much nailed down the way I want it, which
is nice.

One of the features I'm using is the ability to switch different contexts in
& out of the dialplan on a schedule. So, for example, I've got the
"official" tel number ringing my desk phone between 9.00-17.30 mon-fri; and
out of those hours any caller gets a recorded message + sent to voicemail.

However, I'm quite often working later than 17.30, and would quite like to
be able to easily "flick a switch" which tells Asterisk that, actually, I'm
here in the office, and I'd quite like to receive calls. Currently, I have
to alter dialplans.conf, comment out a couple of lines & uncomment another;
save & then re-load the dialplan.

I'm guessing I've got 3 options open to me:

1) Convert from using the various .conf files, to using a "realtime" config,
then write a small front-end to the DB so I can access the settings from a
simple switch on my Windows desktop
2) Write some kind of script which I can execute on the Asterisk box which
makes the same changes I'm currently making manually
3) Some other option I've not thought of...

What's the panel's opinion on the best way to do this?

For info:
	Asterisk 1.4.5 running on Ubuntu 7.04
	Digium-compatible AX100P card providing connection to POTS line
(this is the one that needs controlling)
	2 SIP extensions (Grandstream GXP2000)
	Numerous SIPGATE lines (these are configured as I like them already)

Much appreciated in advance.

Cheers,
Ade.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.